Sunday, July 19, 2009

Once Upon a Time...


Someone has mentioned folks like to hear stories, be they history, folk, or perhaps even our own. So I decided to tell you a bit of my story. About how I came to do my artwork, how animals became such a huge part of my life, and how I seemed to "drink in" things like anatomy without knowing it. Since I am not an author (at least not yet!) what better way to begin than the old standby.

The photo above is my storyteller- I love crows, they are so intelligent, so maligned, and so successful. If I were an American Indian I believe my spirit guide would be a crow...

Once upon a time...
there was a little girl who was an only child (an "unspoiled one"!) who was moved to new homes a number of times and became very shy and withdrawn. (I know, I know- those of you who know me are beginning to think this really IS a fairy tale!) Her best friends became books and animals. She saw the animals in every setting she might encounter them and her total focus was on the animal. As she grew older she was lucky enough to have a horse as well as several dogs, and she brushed that horse and rode that horse so often and consistently that they became best friends and she learned to "feel" anatomy without realizing it. But she didn't know what she wanted to be when she "grew up"...

OK, that's enough for today. I'm not sure whether I should tell you too much of the early stuff or just fast forward. So I'll have to think about it- and if you read this and have a preference, just let me know! This blog is all about my readers and what might interest them- I definitely don't want to bore you all!

3 comments:

Gail Hayton said...

So you painted the meerkats in one day? If you I am sooo jealous
Gail

Italo said...

Carol! We have to become enemies!!! Talented painter, now you become author (you steal my job and you steal a very nice and sweet story fo my book!!!). That's not fair! Seriously I like very much read about your story :)

Carol Andre' said...

No, Gail- it's my version of a YouTube video! Hahaha!!!
SP- I'm glad you enjoy my new "story". I'm not much good at it yet tho- I need to plan and I haven't- I just "meander". And I'm not funny like you on your blog- you make me laugh, and that's my favorite thing!